Sunday, November 29, 2015

Research Blog 8

Interview

Do you commute?

Yes

Are you taking out loans, are they large, what about scholarships

Yes and no, they weren't too big. (the loans)

Do you have a job?  Where does the money go?

Yes, work only weekends 15 hours total.  Salary goes to the bank, tips I use as spending money.

How much time do you have to yourself?

Commute takes time, but like enough time.  Like 5 or 6 or whatever.

Do you feel stressed out whenever you think about balancing work and study?

I have some support from parents so I'm not too too concerned.
What is your major, do you think you'll be able to make your loan payments on time?

Changed major to marketing, assuming if I did what I'd do now then I'd be able to pay it.  I commute and CUNY is like really cheap, so it's really not too expensive.  Express bus is expensive as shit though fare is $6.50
Plans post graduation?

Get a job.  Game plan is probably through internship with help from the school

Did you feel like you needed to attend college?

Well yeah, you kind of need to go to college since everyone does it.  If you don't nobody will take you seriously.

Interviewee 2

What do you look for when hiring?

We either look for experienced workers who have proved their worth and ability to work diligently, or we look at our interns... Students who have an internship are given a chance and if we like them, then we would be more than happy to offer the intern a job.  Uh anyone can be offered a job, if we like them then we can secure them a job before they graduate.  Work ethic is really important, and while we're biased towards some schools, we are willing to hire from any school if the person attracts our interest.

Are the interns paid?

No, the interns are usually not paid.


Interviewee 3

How much money are you making?  

$21.75  (Canadian)

Is that a lot or a little money?

it's pretty __ expensive up here so not that much

Obviously you're not in college right.  Do you feel like it's important?

Yeah of course I'm not, I'm not going to deal with that __.  There are tons of jobs here that don't need college, world will always needs craftsmen you know?

Do you live alone or do you have your own place?

Dude I live with my family, why'd I rent my own place?  (I ask about dorming)  Honestly it's a waste of money just live at home, no rent and you don't have to pay OR make your own food!  But hey each to his own you know.

The first person I interviewed is a fellow college student, to get another person's thoughts on their loans and why they attend college.  In his eyes most students would attend college if they want to be competitive.   The second person I interviewed is my Dad, who takes part in hiring employees for a major company.  Where better to ask about college grads and internships than someone directly involved?  Answer seems to be an outlier, since many companies make it very difficult to have a secure job, especially before graduating.   The third person is a high school grad in Canada who decided not to go to college.  The culture there seems different, and makes sense.  Not everyone needs to attend college to get something done in life, and also ignore lots of the stigma tied to people who don't go to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment